Moving Forward: Managing Legacy Data and Systems
Software, technology, and business practices are ever-changing. Your data needs to be accessible to your latest programs and applications. Routine system upgrades may require a migration of your legacy data.
Legacy data and applications can be challenging for any company to manage, let alone migrate to new platforms. The older the data or applications, the larger and more complex the data, the harder it can be to find a development company that can accurately translate and then migrate the legacy system.
Considerations for legacy system conversions
- Can the new development team understand the original data formats and translate these correctly to a new format?
- Proper analysis of the legacy code and data to determine necessary migration paths. Often data may have to be migrated more than once to bring it into a newer system.
- Reduction or prevention of data loss during an actual data conversion/transformation.
- Is the conversion a one-time or multi-event approach?
- What data is important for you to migrate to the new system?
- Is there dead data that serves no purpose?
- How is the older data stored or archived to provide access?
The key to successful Legacy System Conversions is experience and the ability to foresee and create a quality data conversion and ultimately a well-functioning system.Fortunately, at PCG, our developers have been working in computer technology since the early 1980s. Our programming history has afforded us experience with decades of software programs, databases and coding languages, providing a distinct edge to any company needing their software upgraded from any legacy system. PCG has been converting legacy systems since its beginnings in 1995. We carefully analyze your current data and systems to ensure we can capture each piece. Next, we look forward to integrate your new system with a more modern interfaces and new business rules. Crucial to our programming is the capacity to carry your company into the next generation of software and data management.
What can Phoenix Consultants Group do to bring your legacy systems into a modern interface?
- Consult with you on the system that needs to be modernized.
- Review your data and systems to assess the requirements of a legacy conversions.
- Provide the analysis necessary to collect your new business requirements and form a migration pathway to a modern system.
- Migrate the legacy data to a new database system.
- Create new code and new user interfaces (often web-based) to enable more productivity and the next generation of software for your company.
- Support you at each step of the process, ensuring your successful outcome.
- Host your software on our secure servers.
- Provide ongoing long-term support to your project and your users.
PCG has successfully migrated and converted many legacy systems for example:
- Contact Management Systems
- Enterprise Resource Planning
- Inventory Systems
- Old Law Enforcement Data
- Pharmaceutical Data Tracking
- Regulatory Compliance
- Shipping Data
PCG has performed legacy system database migrations from:
- FileMaker (Plus)
- Microsoft Access
- Microsoft FoxPro
- SQL Anywhere
- SQL Server
- Unisys RDMS 2200
Our repertoire of legacy languages includes:
- Visual Basic for Applications (VBA Access and Excel)
- Visual. Basic 3/4/5/6